I like the idea. As one of the comments says with Nokia S60s you can now build interfaces wiht live icons like these in web-run-time and create a whole menu as a widget. Well, I don't know much about widgets, but I can imagine that it would work. For example, the whole Application Shell could make use of Web run-time and show application entry points (i.e. icons) as widgets with their always-changing behavior. Even more, the idea of Active Idle could be replaced by an active Application Shell, too. Some pixels could also be saved from precious screen real-estate (e.g. unread messages) by letting the application icons show information.
What could different applications show to the user? Here's a by far incomplete list out of my mind:
- Calendar: indication about events nearby
- Messaging: unread messages (sms, e-mail, etc.)
- Bluetooth connectivity: enabled vs disabled, transfer in progress
- WLAN connectivity: enabled vs disabled, number of hotspots nearby
- Maps: known (i.e. pre-recorded) locations nearby
- Clock: time
- Music Player: some information about tune being played (with scrolling, for example)
- RSS reader: new, unread items
- etc.
Tote
No comments:
Post a Comment